Saturday, June 10, 2006

I got the magic stick

Quick thoughts from Day One of the Cup:

- Nothing beats watching the host country on a big screen with 20,000 or so of your local Munchers. As my brother said, you could almost smell the B.O. back in America.

- The tournament motto should change from "A Time to Make Friends" to "A Time to Get Drunk." Honestly, I don't want to imagine if this sort of thing of it happened in America, but here it somehow works. Yyou can fortunately just side-step the drunk people (or at least just shove them while they sway into you and later high-five with everyone around you when a Tico knocks the beer out of his hand and forces him to get lost trying to buy another).

- Cars are still honking on the streets of Munich. It's just Costa Rica, guys....

- Nice effort, Poland. Glad those combined 20+ corners and free kicks in the final third paid off against a team that was probably at least 4 inches shorter than you at every position. Way to make it happen. (Who am I kidding? Screw Poland!)

- How about the Ecuadorian goalie's facepaint? Looks like he stopped off at Fan Fest before the game.

- I won the award for most obscure jersey in a place where everyone was wearing one. My #11 Patschinksy from the 2003 U-20 World Cup earned me anywhere from a friendly "Who the f&#! is Patschinsky?!" to a guy who knew he played in a Hamburg second-division team. For the record, that man also bought me a beer.

- German studio analyst Christophe Daum is the ugliest man on television (well, one that was paid to. You're exempt, Lorenzo Mata). Don't believe me? Sooooo German.

- Funny conversation: talking about Dirk Nowitzky to a guy while his friend, obviously obliterated and unable to speak any other English other than a 50 Cent song, was carrying a pink magic wand that lit up and repeatedly waving it in my face saying "I got the magic stick! I got the magic stick!"

1 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi bb - we just caught up on your blog from Kansas City....mmmmmm steak. I'm so excited I made a cameo in the the first post! Ok, wait until you see how lightening fast we get from KC to Tucson. Oh, the stories we will have to tell. Glad you are having fun, and I love reading this. Drew Carey. Priceless.

JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home