Monday, July 03, 2006

Last day

So after almost exactly a month, it's my final day in Munich before celebrating America's birthday by making it as long as humanly possible with tomorrow's long travel day.

To put it simply, my train from Munich to Frankfurt leaves at 5:27am (that's 8:27pm Tucson time) and my final leg touches down in Tucson at 9:20pm. Hope that iPod battery reaches a whole new level!

Of course, I'll be missing the Germany-Italy semifinal tomorrow, but will at least be able to catch some of it hopefully in Newark. It's just as well; Italy will probably win anyway, knowing my luck.

Sunday was a solid day. We drove out to Kathi's mom's and had a good old fashioned bbq, German-style. I felt like Anthony Bourdain from the Travel Channel, taking in the backyard atmosphere and conversation and, of course, the food. "And isn't this what it's all about? Good friends, good times, good food....transceding!" I'm surprised I haven't turned into a bratwurst, let alone haven't appeared to have gained any weight thanks to them and delicious weissbiers. That said, it will no doubt be fun to work out again every day instead of the lazy, ease into the day and do what we please. Game at 3? Let's go have a beer and watch it!

My family still doesn't believe I'll get on that plane tomorrow, so I'll ease their fears: I will be there, with gifts in tow! I love Germany and especially Munich, and the World Cup is positively absolutely phenomenal, but a month is a long time to be on vacation. Heck, I need a vacation to recover from this one. Preferably where there's a television set to watch Sunday's final.

Will miss: U-Bahns/S-Bahns/Inter-City Expresses, bread, beer, brats, the fact that soccer is not only accepted, but everybody's crazy about it, doner kebab (I could devote an entire post to this), beer gardens, spezzie (a combination of orange drink and coke...yummy) and much, much more.

Won't miss: Walking so much, European concept of waiting in line, B.O., lack of air conditioning (although the last week has been downright pleasant), "it's not possible" and much, much more.

All in all, agreat time. Now I have to spend today cleaning out the World Cup stores. This is your last chance to get a German/Brazilian/etc mohawk hat, so speak now!

1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger St said...

Hook me up on some sweet France gear! I need an Henry jersey!

I'm dead serious -- if you have the scrill left, I will absolutely reimburse you, plus a finder's fee. If not, no biggie.

I know you'll hate me for this, but I'm going crazy now that both my favorite country (Italy) and my motherland (France) are still alive. Viva la France? Forza Italia? If they play in the final, I'm going to stop showering, smoke a lot, drink shitloads of wine and pray for guidance.

I'm down to watch the final -- holla at me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home